Hello my little munchkins. How have you all been. I have been good and I finished a couple books today which makes me SUPER DUPER HAPPY!!!! I am watching a TV show right now and writing this blog post which I hope you will all like and comment on. I am going to be coming out with a couple more posts in the next following days and I hope you like them. Anyways you came here to read a review so look no further this is the post.
By: Lesley Livingston
Genre: Historical Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy, Myths & Legends.
Publishing Date: February 14, 2017
Description according to Amazon, ” Princess. Captive. Gladiator. Always a Warrior.
Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king and the younger sister of the legendary fighter Sorcha. When Fallon was just a child, Sorcha was killed by the armies of Julius Caesar.
On the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is excited to follow in her sister’s footsteps and earn her place in her father’s war band. She never gets the chance.
Fallon is captured and sold to an elite training school for female gladiators—owned by none other than Julius Caesar himself. In a cruel twist of fate, the man who destroyed Fallon’s family might be her only hope of survival.
Now, Fallon must overcome vicious rivalries, deadly fights in and out of the arena, and perhaps the most dangerous threat of all: her irresistible feelings for Cai, a young Roman soldier and her sworn enemy.
A richly imagined fantasy for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Cinda Williams Chima, The Valiant recounts Fallon’s gripping journey from fierce Celtic princess to legendary gladiator and darling of the Roman empire.”
My Thoughts And Opinions:
- I was instantly intrigued with this book when I picked it up and started reading it. The first line immediately pulled me in.
- For some it may be a little difficult to get into the world at first as they talk in a more sophisticated manner compared to what we use and say today.
- The first paragraph of this book is, ” The steam rising off the backs of the cantering horses faded into the morning fog. Our chariot raced toward the far end of the Forgotten Vale, and Maelgwyn Ironhand-my charioteer, constant companion, and frequent advertarsy- pulled back on the reins.”
- And I don’t know about you but that on top of the description of the book sold me. And I hope it sells you *wink*
- And on top of that I loved how the story was written and how easily it flowed.
- From what I know and understand this book is to a degree historically accurate, however since it is a historical fantasy there is many parts where it it not, if you didn’t know before.
- This story is a YA story as it starts off, keeps on going and ends in a fast pace with a punch.
- I loved how the character kept on having surprises and things you wouldn’t expect keep on being thrown her way yet she keeps on evolving as a person and tries to become better, to become fiercer.
- The world building of this story was FANTASTIC!
- The author always built it up at perfect moments and gave you just as much information that you needed. Not to much but Not to little, it was Just Right.
- I was able to feel like I was around that time and I was living and I could touch the character and just sit and fight with them and drink tea.
- This book just made me want to go back into those ages and live yet I know I would for sure die for saying something rude to someone and get my head chopped off or something like that.
- You may think where the book is going but you are wrong.
- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. YOU THINK SOMETHING IT GOING A CERTAIN WAY YOU ARE PROVEN WRONG AS IT GOES A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WAY. LIKE IT ISN’T EVEN FUNNY HOW MANY TIMES THIS HAPPENED TO ME THE WHOLE ENTIRE FREAKING TIME. LIKE OMG IT IS INSANE HOW MANY TIMES THAT HAPPENED TO ME WHILE READING THIS BOOK.
- I LOVED THE sibling relationship in this story.
- It comes at certain points but it only comes when needed.
- It was both light and heavy combining for a perfect connection allowing for me to just swim in the happy sibling feels.
- Also the love relationship was SOOOO GREAT!!!!
- Like it took awhile yet it was just right you know?
- I have nothing really bad to say about it.
I give this book 4/5 stars.
I only gave this book 4 out of 5 because it wasn’t my favorite book and it did not sway me to be a certain type of person which is what I am looking for in a 5/5 star book.
Info On Author:
According to her amazon page she is, “Lesley Livingston is a writer and actress living in Toronto. She has a master’s degree in English from the University of Toronto, where she specialized in Arthurian Literature and Shakespeare. She frequently performs with the Tempest Theatre Group, of which she is a co-founder. She is also the author of WONDROUS STRANGE and DARKLIGHT.”
You can find out more about her on her website which is: www.lesleylivingston.com
Have you read this book before? If so did you like it? Is there any good books that you can recommend me? How have you all been?
Don’t forget to comment, share, like and follow.